Does It Take A Crisis To Transform?
Awhile back I did a webinar with Dr. Sara Gottfried about my next book Mind Over Medicine, Pink Medicine, and self-healing, and according to Sara, “It was epic!”
During the webinar, I mentioned my Perfect Storm (when my dog died, my brother wound up in liver failure, and my father passed away from a brain tumor, all within 2 weeks of me giving birth to my daughter). My Perfect Storm was the catalyst for a major life overhaul that led me to sell my house, quit my job, move to a new place, start Owning Pink, and go through the self-healing journey that led me to surrender to my calling to help lead the Pink Medicine revolution.
And in my experience with patients, it’s often a crisis like this – a health crisis, divorce, loss of a loved one, empty nest, career crisis, etc – that launches us, often against our will – onto the self-healing path that results in major breakthroughs and personal transformation.
I said that on the webinar, and Sara said, “But isn’t there a way to make that transformation without waiting for the crisis?”
I thought about it and said that, in my experience, it usually takes the crisis. We just don’t seem motivated to preventatively make big changes in our life that benefit the quality of our health and lives.
But Sara pushed me on it, and then I realized that this resistance to making big change in the absence of crisis might just be me! Before my Perfect Storm, I was firmly entrenched in a life I had worked hard to earn but which wasn’t making me happy. I had the meaningful career, the six-figure income, the house on the ocean, the vacation home, the boat, and all the other trappings of “success.” Yet, I lacked vitality. I wasn’t happy. And I certainly wasn’t healthy.
I was so numb in my life and so out of touch with my body and my intuition that it took the drama of my Perfect Storm to wake me up. But I realized after talking to Sara that it doesn’t have to be this way.
I do believe you can achieve whole health and vitality without crisis - but it takes listening to the whispers of your Inner Pilot Light before the Universe has to THWACK you over the head in order to get your attention.
What Is Your Inner Pilot Light?
Your Inner Pilot Light is that bright, sparkly, 100 percent authentic, intuitive part of you that shines with wild abandon and never dies out. It’s that inner healing spark within you that rocks – that BOULDERS, really – and that never gets extinguished, no matter how rough life gets. Call it your intuition. Call it your highest self. Call it your Buddha Nature or your Christ consciousness. Call it Captain Crunch, for all I care.
But please, my dear, call on your Inner Pilot Light for guidance, confidence, affirmation, and a sense that you can heal yourself – and do ANYTHING you choose to do in your life.
These nudges from your intuition and signs from The Universe start out quietly. They show up as a growing hunger deep within. You may notice a twinge in your body that aches just the teensiest bit. You may hear a quiet voice when you’re out in nature walking, telling you it’s time to quit your job, or you might have a telling dream.
10 Ways To Know Your Inner Pilot Light Is Guiding You
1. Hunches arise during meditation – and you pay attention to them.
2. Physical sensations appear that may signal something deeper (whether they’re unpleasant symptoms like back pain or excited sensations like butterflies in your stomach).
3. You’ve distanced yourself from caring what everyone else thinks.
4. Dreams offer you messages, suggestions, or guidance – and you take notice.
5. Books (or blog posts!) speak directly to where you are in your life, and you listen.
6. When roadblocks appear on your current path, you don’t see it as failure, but as a sign from your Inner Pilot Light that you’re supposed to take a fork in the road.
7. You notice that plunk of rightness you feel when you finally make a choice – and you just know it’s the best one for you, even if it makes no sense to anyone else.
8. You feel the confidence that you will always land butter-side up, no matter how crazy, impossible, or implausible something might seem.
9. You start to feel like you’re in the flow because everything gets easier.
10. You’ve ditched the masks, let your freak flag fly, and tapped into that authentic part of you that always knows the way.
Are You Letting Your Inner Pilot Light Guide You?
Are you listening to the whispers? Or are you waiting for The Universe to thwack you over the head with a crisis? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to get in touch with your Inner Pilot Light NOW?
Need help learning to listen? Sign up for Daily Messages from Your Inner Pilot to begin tapping in.
Tell me what you think!
Guided by own inner light,
Lissa Rankin, MD: Founder of OwningPink.com, Pink Medicine Revolutionary, motivational speaker, and author of What’s Up Down There? Questions You’d Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend and Encaustic Art: The Complete Guide To Creating Fine Art With Wax.
Learn more about Lissa Rankin here.