Layer ginger-laced, sweetened ricotta with bright-red raspberries for a dessert that’s simply delicious. Feel free to substitute the raspberries with a variety of berries or halved, seedless red grapes.
2 cups low-fat ricotta
2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup honey, or to taste
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, snipped into bits or coarsely chopped
3 cups fresh or frozen (defrosted) raspberries
Fresh mint sprigs
1. In a food processor, blend ricotta, yogurt, honey and ground ginger. Blend in more honey if you wish.
2. Stir in the chopped crystallized ginger.
3. Spoon a layer of the ricotta mixture into four glasses, then top with some raspberries.
4. Continue to layer ingredients once or twice more, ending with raspberries.
5. Garnish each portion with a mint sprig.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 275, fat 11g, protein 18g, carbohydrate 28g, dietary fiber 7g.
Read all about the health benefits of ginger in Ginger: The Cook’s Best Medicine.
Lorna Sass is the award-winning author of more than a dozen cookbooks. Her most recent, Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way, won the James Beard Foundation Award in the “Healthy Focus” category.
Kiwi magazine is ideal for families interested in a healthy lifestyle. They cover the latest in natural and organic products, nutrition and wellness. You’ll find information on social and environmental issues that touch your family as well as parenting advice from leading experts. And, of course, there’s fun stuff like kids’ fashions, reviews on kids’ media, toys and games. We’ve even thrown in some information for pampering parents, too. Subscribe now and Kiwi will make a donation to World Vision.
By Lorna Sass, Kiwi magazine