Dreamy Carrot Soup
In spring our thoughts turn to eggs, and baskets, and bunny rabbitsand carrots, one of their favorite foods. This gorgeous bright-orange soup is creamy without using any dairy, and so filled with vibrant nourishment from beta-carotene-rich carrots. We think Peter Rabbit would approve and if he, like the author’s fiance, had made himself ill eating fast food, this soup could be part of his road back to good health!
Here is the simple recipe:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon fennel seed
4 cups carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch “coin” slices
4 cups good-quality vegetable stock
Fresh dill or parsley
1. Heat a 4-quart it over medium heat and add the oil. Add onion and garlic, along with the salt. Stir to coat vegetables with oil and saute 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add fennel seeds, carrots, and stock, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Blend soup in the pot with a hand-held immersion blender, or transfer to a blender a cup at a time and blend until smooth.
5. Garnish with dill or parsley and serve warm.
Adapted from The Great American Detox Diet, by Alex Jamieson (Rodale Press, 2005). Copyright (c) 2005 by Alex Jamieson. Reprinted by permission of Rodale Press.
Adapted from The Great American Detox Diet, by Alex Jamieson (Rodale Press, 2005).