Here is a family favorite in a low-fat reincarnation that‘s better for you than the original, but without sacrificing taste. The final product tastes rich and creamy, zesty and cheesy, with only a fraction of the fat: a great way to celebrate the day.
3 4-ounce cans whole green chile peppers, drained
1 cup evaporated skim milk
4 egg whites
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups finely shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 1 1/2-quart casserole with no-stick spray and set aside.
2. Wear disposable gloves to do this so you don’t accidentally get burned by the hot pepper juice: Slit the chili peppers in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. Rinse and drain peppers on paper towels.
3. In a medium bowl, beat together the milk, egg whites, and flour until smooth; set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses. Set 1/2 cup of this cheese mixture aside for the topping.
5. To assemble the casserole, layer half each of the chili peppers, the cheese mixture, and egg mixture. Repeat layers with remaining chili peppers, cheese mixture, and egg mixture.
6. Pour the tomato sauce over the top, then bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup cheese mixture and bake about 20 minutes more or until knife inserted near top comes out clean.
Makes 6 servings.
Adapted from Healthy Homestyle Cooking, by Evelyn Tribole (Rodale Press, 1994). Copyright (c) 1994 by Evelyn Tribole. Reprinted by permission of Rodale Press.
Adapted from Healthy Homestyle Cooking, by Evelyn Tribole (Rodale Press, 1994).