Special equipment: canning jar and lid
* 1 pound ramps, carefully washed, ends trimmed
* 1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1/4 cup salt
* 3 bay leaves
* 1 tablespoon yellow or black mustard seed
* 6 allspice berries
* 1 pinch red pepper flakes
1. Carefully pack ramps into a sterilized quart-sized jar with a screw-top lid.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil, whisking until sugar and salt are dissolved.
3. Pour hot brine over ramps (it should fill the jar completely, if you have excess, discard). Screw on lid and allow to cool at room temperature.
4. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to rest for at least 3 weeks and up to a year before consuming.
You might also like:
- Harvesting Wild Ramps
- Wild Ramp & Lemon Risotto
- Wild Ramp & Parsley Pesto
- On the Hunt for Wild Greens – Miner’s Lettuce
- Wild Blackberry Sorbet With Mint – The Scratches Are Worth It!