To learn more about the bagua, see my article, The Energy Centers of Your Home, which will go into further detail. Here are step-by-step instructions for how to put the bagua map onto the floor plan of you home and locate your personal health and family area.
1. Draw a sketch of the floor plan of your space. This should be the bird’s-eye view as if you are looking down on it. Include all built-on decks, stairways and attached garages. If you live in a condo, apartment or one room, draw the shape of this as if you are looking down from above.
2. Draw a square or rectangle over the floor plan in the shape of the bagua map. Stretch it out into a long skinny rectangle if need be. All of the areas of the home need to be within the square or rectangle. If your home is an irregular shape, still draw the rectangle or square around it.
3. Stand at the front door looking into your home with the map parallel to the floor with the Entrance Quadrant touching your stomach. This will tell you the direction to overlay the bagua map onto the floor plan of your home. (As you stand at the front door the health and family area is going to be the far left middle section of the nine bagua sections).
4. Now divide your home with the bagua map overlaid on it in nine equal sections. This will identify for you where all of the key nine areas are of your home are. The wealth area will always be the far left quadrant of the home, and the love and marriage the far right section. The health and family area will be the center left hand section.
5. If your home is not a rectangle or square, you may be missing areas of the bagua. If this is the case, you can do a mini-bagua for each room of your home and enhance the health section of each room using the above suggestions. Stand at the entrance of the room facing in and the health area will be the center left section. This energetically brings the missing Gua, or section, back into the space.
6. If you have more than one floor of your home, whatever is below is above. You do not turn the bagua differently for each floor. In which case you may have more than one health and family area; the same rules of enhancement apply to all areas!
7. You can also just do a mini-bagua of a particular room that you use frequently. Do this if you find the health and family area is missing or located somewhere that is not a main room of the home such as a garage, laundry room, etc. Stand at the doorway of the room you chose and orient the bagua the same way as above. Divide the room into nine sections as described and the health section will be the center left section of the room as you look into the room from the doorway.
Free offer to my Care2 readers: For those who would like a copy of my color Bagua map with instructions on how to lay it over your home, Please click here. (PDF format)
Erica Sofrina is a Internationally recognized speaker, teacher and Founder of the Academy of Feng Shui which offers Practitioner Certification Programs and seminars on-line and on-site. She is the author of the book Small Changes, Dynamic Results! Feng Shui for the Western World.