This part of Feng Shui comes out of the teaching of the Bagua, the source of which is the ancient Chinese book of wisdom and divination, the I Ching. To read more about the Bagua, I will refer you to my prior article: Where is the Energy in your Home.
We can locate these energy centers by overlaying what is called a Bagua map, onto the floor plan of our living space (see page 3). Once you locate where this energy center is in your home you can enhance it with objects that reflect what it is you want bring into your life pertaining to this area. You will want to:
1. Take a look at what is going on there and see if it connects to what is going on in your life at present. (You may have some ah-hah moments!)
2. Clean it up, clear it out and make it an inspiring place to spend time in (Click here for a list of all of my past articles on how to do so)
3. Add enhancements to encourage the chi (energy) to become activated along with environmental affirmations that represent what it is you do want to have happen in this area of your life.
These Environmental Affirmations are physically manifested thought forms. Every time you look at these objects you are sending the chi in this direction, however subtle this may seem.
According to the laws of attraction – ‘like’ attracts ‘like’ energy. By strategically planting into your space objects that hold the energy for something you desire, you are attracting this ‘like’ energy to you. (See my article Your Home is attracting your Future).
Environmental Affirmations can work for or against us, moving our lives in a direction we don’t want. Feng Shui teaches that everything in our living and work space should inspire, uplift, be useful and reflect who we are now in our lives and where we want them to go.
Take a close look at what your environment is telling you about yourself. Is your artwork affirming what you want to bring into your life? (I.e. if you are single and want a relationship, how many single people pictures do you have?) Any object you have in your space that you do not like, invokes an unpleasant memory or does not reflect your true desires is keeping this energy in your space and hence, in your life. If it is not moving your life forward in a positive way, it should be removed and/or replaced with objects that generate happy, pleasant and uplifting thoughts.
Enhancements for Children and Creativity
Locate the Children and Creativity area of your home and activate the energy there by adding some of the following:
- Whimsical objects such as toys and artwork that encourage you to laugh and lighten up.
- Artfully arranged supplies used for creating art and doing hobbies you love. (Note: this is not the place to put unfinished projects that have been sitting there for any period of time. These are called ‘naggers.’ Remove from your space anything that is sending a negative message such as ‘I can never finish anything.’
- Posters, paintings, photos and collages representing happy children or that were created by children (make sure they reflect happy, carefree children).
- Quotes, affirmations and sayings pertaining to children and creativity.
- Vision boards depicting you at play, doing what you love and/ or something you never had the nerve to pursue, with words affirming your own creativity and spontaneity. Dream big and envision yourself doing it!
- Circular, oval and arch- like shapes and objects (these represent the metal element).
- Objects made of metal, brass, steel, gold, silver copper etc, such as candle holders, picture frames, jewelry, lamps statues and furniture.
- Objects that hold a positive memory from your own childhood such as handmade items and memorabilia or pictures of you being totally goofy and having a great time!
- Personal objects you made that sprang from your own creativity such as artwork, poems, writings and scrapbooks, invoking memories of creative and happy times.
- Objects that represent the new career or project you want to bring into form. If you are writing a book, put your writings here and affirmations about how the book will be received in the world. Work then with the Fame and Reputation area to enhance this further.
- If you want to start a family add objects grouped in “threes” of things with two big ones and a little one representing the new family you want to bring in, or “fours” of things, correspondingly depending upon the size of the family you desire. An example might be two larger candles with one smaller one, animal figurines with two larger parents and a child, etc. To enhance this even more, locate the Children and Creativity area of each room that is appropriate and enhance it with three things as described.
Next: Using the Bagua map to locate the energy centers in your home