Chronic inflammation is not only a leading cause of painful joints, it is also implicated in a host of health problems including cancer, overweight, Alzheimer’s, and heart disease. America is sometimes called the “Inflammation Nation” because our diet and lifestyle puts us at risk for this condition. Here are six simple ways to combat inflammation to improve your health and wellbeing.
1. Eat more anti-inflammatory foods. Avoid trans fats and corn syrup. Instead, choose foods high in inflammation-fighting properties like extra-virgin olive oil, whole grains, and plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits.
2. Get sufficient sleep. Most of us don’t get enough. Aim for 8 hours a night.
3. Relax! When we give ourselves the gift of deep relaxation we help our bodies put out the inflammation fire.
4. Lower your stress levels. High levels of stress are a leading factor in inflammation.
5. Keep your weight at a healthy-for-you level. Ironically, not dieting but eating MORE anti-inflammatory foods will actually help you to do this!
6. Exercise. As little as 30 minutes of walking on most days will be hugely beneficial.