5 Easy Pizza Recipes
- Cait Johnson
- December 4, 2001
- 2:51 am
Warmer days are a great excuse to throw a pizza party, and these versions are fun to make, quick to put together, and bursting with wonderfully zesty, international, and seasonal flavors. You can even make pizzas on your backyard grill: we include an easy how-to.
Use these five taste-tempting ideas as jumping-off places for your own creativity. And using premade crust saves so much time!
Basic Pizza Recipe:
1 12-to 14-inch pizza crust (thawed, if frozen)
Vegetables (see suggestions)
Cheeses (see suggestions)
Fresh or dried herbs (see suggestions)
1. If using oven: Place thawed pizza crust on a round baking pan, and prebake at 450F for 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Add vegetables that are marked as “precook” and saute, stirring frequently, until softened.
3. Brush crust with more olive oil and spread sauce evenly over crust, if using, then sprinkle vegetables over that. Add cheeses and fresh herbs.
4. Bake pizza at 450F for 12 to 15 minutes, until cheese melts and pizza is heated through.
5. For Grilled Pizza: Prepare charcoal grill and allow coals to reach medium-high heat. Pat and stretch dough into 1/4-inch thick shape and brush bottom with olive oil. Place oiled side down on grill-rack and cook 2-5 minutes, until crust holds its shape. Flip over, brush with oil, cover with sauce, pre-cooked vegetables, cheeses, and fresh herbs and continue cooking another several minutes until cheese melts.
1 cup asparagus, cut in 1/2-inch diagonal pieces (precook)
1 cup chopped broccoli (precook)
1 small zucchini, sliced thinly (precook)
1 cup fresh spinach, sliced into thin ribbons
1/2 cup sliced scallions, white and green parts
1/2 cup pesto sauce
8 ounces shredded soy or regular mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or soy-Parmesan cheese
2 cups sliced Portobello or other mushrooms (precook)
1 cup arugula, coarsely chopped
2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons each fresh parsley and fresh thyme, finely minced
1 cup tomato-based pizza sauce
1 small eggplant, skin removed, sliced thinly (precook)
2 cloves garlic, minced (precook)
1 small onion, sliced thinly in rings
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted in hot water and drained
1 cup black oil-cured olives, sliced
2 tablespoons capers
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 cups shredded regular or soy mozzarella
1/2 cup goat cheese or feta, crumbled
1 cup salsa
1/4 cup canned green chiles, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup canned or cooked black beans
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Garnish (sprinkle on after pizza is finished baking):
1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Squeeze of lime
1 cup tomato-based pizza sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
4 fresh plum tomatoes, cored and diced
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into fine ribbons
2 cups fresh mozzarella balls, cut into thin slices
Garnish: a few fresh basil leaves
By Cait Johnson, author of Witch In the Kitchen, (inner Traditions, 2001).
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.