Five-Minute Vacations at Your Desk
Are you longing for a few days on a beach blanket beside a warm, bright-blue sea? Balmy breezes? A Mai Tai sipped under palm fronds with orchids blooming colorfully nearby? If youíre like us, the call of the tropics gets pretty irresistible in February, when everything is gray and cold outside. But we canít always get away.
If youíre stuck behind your desk, let these five easy, fun ideas give you the break you need. They can help you to feel happier, more refreshed, and relaxed. Some of them may make you laugh–but they work!
1. Get a bottle of coconut-scented suntan lotion and sniff it whenever you need a boost! Mouthwatering and reminiscent of childhood beach and pool pleasures.
2. Surf the web if you canít surf the ocean. Find photos of tropical paradises and gaze to your heartís content: research shows that looking at watery shades of blue and green is calming and uplifting.
3. Treat yourself to a bunch of brightly-colored flowers for your desk. Every time your eye is caught by the color (or your nose is caught by the scent, if they have a fragrance) your spirit will feel cheered.
4. Indulge in fruit juices. It can really lift your mood to have a guava-mango-papaya-pineapple drink (with lime) to sip on at your desk. Try different combinations until you find one you like: the colorful vitamin nourishment of tropical fruits is a real pick-me-up.
5. Get a full-spectrum light for your desk and bask. Itís the next best thing to getting some natural sunlight.
By Cait Johnson, Assistant Producer, Care2 Healthy Living Channels.