5 Tips for Working Efficiently at Home
Do you work out of your house? If so, here are five tips from Deb Lee, a Certified Professional Organizer and a contributor to the blog Unclutterer, on how to work effectively from a home office. See her list of suggestions below:
Above: The home office of Remodelista editor, Sarah.
1. As much as possible, take care of distractions before working. If you are distracted by disorder or something that can be completed ahead of time, take care of these items each night before heading to bed so you can focus on work the next day.
2. Work at a table or desk. Work in a place that feels like you should be doing work there. Sit at an organized desk (or table) and in a sturdy chair.
Above: The home office of Remodelista editor, Janet.
3. Keep your to-do list visible. Start each day by reviewing your to-do list or creating one so you have a clear understanding of where you’re going. Cross-off items as you go.
4. Add deadlines to your task list. Use a calendar, a stop watch, or any other device that will help you to reach goals by specific times.
5. Keep email notifications turned off. Since email comes in at random times, it is hard to work without interruptions. Check e-mail on a schedule or when you take a break. If you can, turn that notification off when you need to focus.
For more tips on working–and living–in a well-organized way, take a look at Unclutter Your Life in One Week, by Erin Doland, founder of Unclutterer.