9. Crepes with Leeks and Eggs
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 Cup flour
- Coarse salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Medium leek, clean and sliced crosswise
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- Freshly-ground pepper
- 1/2 Cup gruyere
1. In a blender or food processor, blend milk, 1 egg, olive oil, flour and a pinch of salt. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in leeks and let cook until the leeks have wilted, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. Set the oven rack on the highest level. Preheat broiler. Heat up a cast iron skillet (9-12 inches) over medium-high heat. Add remaining butter. Pour about 1/3 cup of the crepe batter and tilt the skillet so it spreads out thinly and evenly. Let it cook for around 3 minutes, until bubbly and dry. Carefully release the edges of the crepe with a small spatula. Carefully flip the crepe over using your fingers.
4. Add half of the leeks and half of the grated cheese over the crepe, but take care to leave space in the middle for the egg. Crack egg into the uncovered spot and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
5. Move the skillet to the broiler. Let crepe broil until the yolk is runny and the whites are cooked, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate, and fold crepe in half. Repeat steps with remaining ingredients.
Recipe Credit: Serious Eats