Night is soft on the senses and soothing to the soul, but can be harsh on the skin. All that tossing and turning, rubbing your cheeks against the pillow—especially if you sleep on your side… alas, the creases on your cheeks and chin keep increasing, night after night. Those ‘pillow lines’ are not attractive, and can make you look older than your years.
So how can you protect your skin?
The answer is simple: you invest a few minutes of your time in a skin-care routine.
- First things first, remove your makeup. This is extremely important, so that your skin feels clean and gets to breathe during the night.
- Next, wash your face, pat it dry, and apply a good quality night cream. Now you could buy a branded night cream with a three-digit price tag, or you could stir up your own.
I have, for years, preferred to make my own cream using almonds, which play a starring role in skin care. Here’s the amazingly simple recipe:
Ready-in-1-Minute Almond Cream
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- A few drops of almond oil
- A few drops of lemon juice
Mix everything together. Then, tie your hair back with a soft cloth headband, and gently apply this cream neck upward, in a light, circular motion. This mini-massage not only helps keep away wrinkles, but also boosts circulation and begins that much-coveted ‘glow’ everyone craves. So, let your skin completely soak in the cream. If it feels greasy, pat it very gently with a soft cloth. The lemon juice will provide clarifying assistance.
If your skin is particularly tired on a certain day, treat yourself to a luscious exfoliating mask before you apply the cream. Here’s how to make it:
Ready-in-2-Minutes Almond Scrub
- 1 tbsp. cold milk (or more, as required)
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. finely ground almonds (soak them in hot water, take off the skin, and then grind them)
- 1 tsp. orange peel powder
Mix together and apply all over face and neck. Leave on for a few minutes, and wash off with warm water, followed by a cold splash.