Give Peace A Chance: Make a Peace Wreath!
During this holiday season, each and every one of us has the opportunity to build peace in our lives – locally and globally. Each culture and religion celebrates the winter holidays in its own unique way. Believe me, as someone who blends together two diverse traditions, peace binds it all together.
Share your sentiment with the visitors at your home with an unexpected take on traditional holiday decor. Wreaths are traditional symbols for the holiday season. This peace wreath may just have staying power on your home, as the universal message of peace is always in season!
This easy DIY project that uses fallen branches, repurposed wire hangers, and a few tools, puts a handmade spin on holiday wreaths.
How to make a Peace Wreath
What you need:
4 wire hangers or a wreath form
What to do:
1. Take the pliers and straighten two coat hangers and form them into a circle.
2. Hook the ends together by twisting the wire.
3. Bend the other hanger wire into a circle making sure it is about 1″ smaller than the first one.
4. Hook the ends together, forming a circle.
5. Take the fourth hanger and cut and wrap it to form a peace symbol in the inside circle
6. Cut branches to 4-6″ lengths.
7. Gather the branches into bundles.
8. Secure the bundles with the floral wire.
9. Lay a bundle on the form and tightly wrap it with wire.
10. Without cutting the wire, add another bundle so that it overlaps the bottom half of the previous one.
11. Repeat around.
12. Cover peace symbol in the same overlapping manner.
13. Make a wire loop on top or use the hanger hook to attach.
No time to DIY? To purchase a peace wreath like the one in the picture, check out Emilie’s Wreath Factory.
If you choose to give your handmade peace wreath as a gift, here are some of my favorite peace quotes. These quotes can serve as inspiration to accompany your peace wreaths:
“There is no way to peace, peace is the way.” A.J. Muste
“Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means at which we arrive at that goal.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace is its own reward.” Mahatma Gandhi
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” Jimi Hendrix
“Green is a solace, a promise of Peace.” William Carolos William
“All we are saying is give Peace a chance.” John Lennon