Who says you need all the breading to make a great-tasting eggplant parmesan? Cut the eggplant in thick slices, which makes for a delicious casserole with an Italian flair.
8 slices eggplant, cut in ¾ inch pieces
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
½ teaspoon garlic, minced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
15 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ cup tomatoes, crushed
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, shredded
- Brush eggplant with 2 teaspoons olive oil, sprinkle with half salt and pepper, bake in pans at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until eggplant softens, let cool.
- Sautee onion, mushrooms and garlic in remaining oil. Add tomatoes, chopped and crushed. Also add remaining salt and pepper, oregano, granulated onion and sugar.
- Place eggplant in 8” by 8” pan. Layer it if necessary. Place ricotta in small blobs on top of eggplant. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Top with layer of tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees until lightly browned, about ½ hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Total cooking time: 1 Hour