Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker – Book Giveaway!
- Healthy Living Editors
- October 9, 2010
- 5:08 am
Chickpea Fattet “Tostadas”
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 4 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 whole pitas, split in half
- 1 1/2 cups Greek-style yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or cilantro leaves
1. To make the hummus, thoroughly rinse the chickpeas, then place them, along with the water, in the slow cooker insert.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the chickpeas are tender. Drain the chickpeas, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. (You can reserve the rest of the cooking water for thickening soups or stews.) Measure out 1/2 cup of the cooked chickpeas, coarsely chop them, and set them aside.
3. Place the whole chickpeas in the workbowl of a food processor. Press in the garlic, then add the lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of the cooking water and process until the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons cooking water only if needed to thin the consistency. Add salt to taste.
4. To make the fattet, in a toaster oven or under a broiler, toast the pita halves until lightly browned or crisp. Arrange the pita halves on individual plates, then spread each pita with about 1/3 cup hummus. (Reserve the leftover hummus for another use). Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of the chopped chickpeas, a generous dollop of yogurt, a pinch of cumin seed, 1/4 cup lettuce, 1 tablespoon of toasted pine nuts, and 1 tablespoon of chopped mint.
5. Serve immediately.
Variations: Try adding artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, or roasted peppers when processing the hummus.
WIN THE BOOK! Enter a comment below and you will automatically be entered to win a copy of The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley. Winner will be announced on November 2. Good luck!
Please email Samantha at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your new book. Thanks to everyone who entered!
Reprinted with permission from The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World by Lynn Alley, copyright © 2010. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Photo credit: Leo Gong © 2010
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.