Sweet and Spicy Guinness Quick Bread
This sweet and spicy quick bread would make a great St. Patrick’s Day breakfast, or a heartening snack served with a cup of coffee or Irish tea. The magic ingredient is Guinness stout, a dark Irish beer that adds wonderful moistness and flavor.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 12-ounce Guinness or other Irish stout beer, minus a sip (fun for the cook!)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, then spoon into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake 50 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Makes one loaf.
Inspired by The Best Quick Breads by Beth Hensperger (Harvard Common Press, 2000).