Here is a delectable vegetarian appetizer, a pate with such satisfying flavor and texture it is sure to please even die-hard meat-eaters–and itís a lot better for us! The super-easy recipe features walnuts, rich in omega-3 oils so necessary for healthy heart function, as well as flavorful and immune-enhancing garlic and onion, and calcium-rich cheeses.
Sliced and served with toast, warm bread, or crackers, Hearty Pate is an easy-to-make but sophisticated starter for Valentineís Day dinner or any dinner. And itís pretty, too!
1/2 stick unsalted butter
4 small onions or shallots, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups mature Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup cream cheese
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup pitted black olives
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Use 1/4 of the butter to grease a loaf pan. Melt the rest of the butter in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan and saute the onions or shallots until softened.
2. Using a food processor, or in a bowl, combine remaining ingredients, then fold in the softened onions or shallots. Spread mixture evenly into greased loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
3. Remove pan from oven and allow to cool. When cool, refrigerate for 3 hours. Turn pate out on to a plate.
4. To decorate, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and scallions together, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread this over the pate, and garnish decoratively with walnuts and olives (you can get very creative here!).
5. Cut the pate into slices to serve, along with a salad and bread or crackers.