Let’s face it: the holidays may be beautiful, nostalgic and lovely, but they are also stressful. Most of us feel like our days are full but during the holidays we pack in more baking, shopping, gift-wrapping, family visits, traveling…whew! It’s stressful just to think about it. Here are 12 ways to make the holidays less stressful and exhausting:
1. Take a vitamin C — your stress glands, the adrenals, are the highest users of vitamin C. During the holidays it’s easy to deplete the adrenals’ store of this critical immune-boosting nutrient. Alcohol consumption also depletes vitamin C. A typical dose is 1 gram daily.
2. Eat some pomegranate or drink some pomegranate juice. New research shows that pomegranates contain substances that stop viral replicating. That means less chance of getting sick and fewer sick days if you’ve already got something.
3. Stop to breathe. Even just a minute or two of deep breathing causes the adrenals to stop pumping out so much cortisol — the stress hormone that causes us to feel edgy and to gain weight.
4. Eat something before you head to parties. That way, you’ll be less likely to overindulge in junk that just stresses your body more.
5. Take a B-complex vitamin. B-complex vitamins are depleted during times of stress and through alcohol consumption. The B-vitamins are the body’s energy boosters. If you’re exhausted, a good B-complex vitamin can help. A typical dose is 50 to 100 mg (or micrograms for some of the B-vitamins) daily.
Keep reading to discover the drink that boosts energy and prevents cravings for unhealthy foods…