Homemade Vegan Tortillas
Tortillas seemed to be one of those things that’s best left to the experts. But the truth is, tortillas really are easy to make and totally worth the effort. Now that I know what the good stuff tastes like, I’m going to have a hard time eating the store-bought kind. I see very toned arms in my future! Here’s the recipe, adapted from Mary’s Test Kitchen.
- 3 Cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons oil (canola works best here)
- 1 1/2 cups water (give or take)
- Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Add oil and water. With hands, rapidly mix dough together until it becomes stiff. If necessary, add water to mixture.
- Knead dough until it elastic and smooth. Set dough aside for 5-10 minutes for easier rolling. You can either wrap it in plastic or set it in a greased bowl with a damp cloth covering it.
- Divide dough into 12 equal parts, and form each piece into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll out each piece until it's very thin.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When it's hot, place a rolled-out piece and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes. When it turns from opaque to white, you'll know it's done!
Suggestions for using your homemade tortillas: