START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

How Do We Define Local for Produce?

How Do We Define Local for Produce?

“We should be producing the fullest variety of foods to be
consumed locally, in the countryside itself and in nearby towns
and cities: meats, grains, table vegetables, fruits and nuts,
dairy products, poultry and egg ” notes farmer and author
Wendell Berry.

Almost all environmentalists are in agreement
that eating local, seasonal food saves energy from transporting
food from many miles away and needing less refrigeration, and
supports local farms.

This is all well and good, but how should we define local?

The average mouthful of food travels 1,200 miles from farm to factory to warehouse to supermarket to our plates. Much of it comes from countries many more thousands of miles away. The United States is the largest food importer in the world.

The most commonsense principle to follow is that the fewer miles the food travels from the farm to your table, the better.

Calculate the distance it takes to get the food to you, and choose the closest producers. Your town is closer than the far reaches of your state, for example; your state is closer than a farm two states over; if you leave in the East, Florida is closer than California; if you live in the state of Washington, Florida is closer than Brazil, and so forth. No matter where you live, search out local farmers’ markets whenever possible. Best of all, try starting a garden!

Read more: Food, Green Kitchen Tips

By Annie B. Bond

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Annie B. Bond

Annie is a renowned expert in non-toxic and green living. She was named one of the top 20 environmental leaders by Body and Soul Magazine and "the foremost expert on green living." - Body & Soul Magazine, 2009. Learn Annie's latest eco-friendly news on anniebbond.com, a website dedicated to healthy and green living.

Go to the Source

The Green Kitchen Handbook

Practical advice, references, and sources for transforming the center of your home into a healthful, livable place.buy now

77 comments

+ add your own
9:19PM PDT on May 9, 2013

Love organic local veggies, grow many of my own and for small amounts of organic meat there are local farmers, eggs are not factory farm and one can avoid GMO. Iceland has a good idea, they have quite a number of greenhouses so many people can get local foods without bothering to import it from afar.

2:24AM PDT on May 9, 2013

ty

8:44PM PDT on Mar 21, 2013

definition seems to vary by store

10:55AM PDT on Mar 21, 2013

thanks for sharing

8:14PM PDT on Jul 23, 2012

thx

1:11AM PDT on May 4, 2012

Does the essential carbohydrates and solids retain in these vegetables?

Huber.

11:04AM PDT on May 1, 2012

Thanks

6:26AM PDT on May 1, 2012

We're luckily able to get a lot of veggies and egges from neighbors within 5-10 miles of us. Because we're in a remote rural area, we have to travel 45 miles to the nearest city of size where we have access to co-op, farmers markets, etc., where produce...veggies, fruits, nuts...is locally grown. We're able to get 80% of all our food from these sources. (The other 20% is dried grains, beans, flour, spices, things simple not available locally produced.)

5:19PM PDT on Mar 22, 2012

Great article. Thanks.

3:59PM PDT on Oct 16, 2011

Annie
Thanks for your article. Here has an important message: Please help to spread and read and support. Many people do not like you can have opportunity to see http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/thank-2-randy-paynter-care2-team/ http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/helping-wildlife-and-people-survive-together/
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/29/help-to-plant-2-trees-daily-20111016/
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/41/take-action-care2-members-visitors/
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/12/do-something-nice-today-to-sign-the-petition/
Thanks again.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

Only if that can truly help relieving the problem

Don't dream of saying you would oppose legalization. Those who picture themselves broad minded woul…

Thanks... i'ts truth... I know that, because I have many recipes and advice for healthy living...

The only people I know that don't smoke are one's that jobs or doctors test. It's so stupid that yo…

I totally agree with RB you were saved from a lifetime of misery....I hope you will meet a good man,…

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.