START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

Is It Safe to Microwave?

  • 1 of 2
Is It Safe to Microwave?

The convenience of microwave ovens is undeniable, particularly with newer under-counter and over-range configurations that leave plenty of counter space available. These microwave ovens may be the most handy, but also the least safe. They expose sensitive body parts to radiation, albeit in very small amounts. The Food and Drug Administration and many experts agree the radiation emitted from microwave ovens is safe. However, the FDA also admits there are few conclusive long-term studies on the matter.

On the other hand, there are other proven health threats and risks associated with microwave ovens.

Minimize radiation exposure

As long as your microwave carries an FDA safety label, it is guaranteed to emit less than five milliwatts of radiation per square centimeter at two inches from the oven. This is far below the level that is proven to be harmful to human health, and the radiation levels drop off quickly with distance. Still, it is worth taking precautions.

Avoid spending time cooking directly in front of a combination range hood and microwave. High levels of microwave radiation can cause cataracts and damage the lens of the eye. Likewise, working on the counter standing in front of under-counter microwaves is a bad idea. High levels of microwave energy can damage testicles and produce temporary sterility.

Also make sure your microwave is in reliable working condition. Follow all directions in the instruction manual, and donít use a microwave if the door or casing are bent or damaged. Also stop using a microwave immediately if it continues operating with an open door. The FDA requires locks and monitors that ensure the unit stops immediately if the door is opened.

  • 1 of 2

Read more: Eating for Health, Health, Health & Safety, Home, Household Hints, ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Selections from Networx

Networx.com empowers people to make educated, economical and Earth-friendly renovation and home repair choices. We are a community of homeowners, renters and contractors who are committed to sharing home improvement expertise and experience.

267 comments

+ add your own
5:31AM PDT on May 6, 2014

thanks!

10:04AM PST on Feb 25, 2014

There are many reasons to avoid microwave. Two children in my area had cancer at age four. Their milk or formula was warmed in a microwave. Prior to microwave and milk formula substitutes, cancer was rare in children.
Water soluble vitamins B and C are destroyed by microwave and other nutrients altered. Many grains and nuts are now microwaved to kill insects and lessens or kills the grains ability to germinate and also changes the gluten. Maybe why so many people are now intolerant to gluten. …dez...

9:55AM PST on Jan 8, 2013

living isn't safe

11:47AM PDT on Oct 13, 2012

Thanks.

9:26AM PDT on Oct 13, 2012

thanks for the reminder. my microwave is turned off when not in use. its a few feet away from my stove.

2:13PM PDT on Sep 24, 2012

Thanks

1:46AM PDT on Sep 24, 2012

My microwave also has a built in ovens/grill that is used more than the microwave - it's a decent size "oven." But if we are going to tell people to make certain that the seal is not broken, we might as well remind them not to sit too close to the TV.

8:23AM PDT on Jul 31, 2012

Have been using the microwave less and less to the point that it just has become an ornament on the kitchen counter, it has been decorated with cups, colourful dried flowers and a few ceramic kittens.

Use it rarely and it does make a good "baked" potato if these are put in a cloth "potato bag" for this purpose. Other than that it has fallen out of use since I prefer just cooking from scratch as the food usually tastes far better.

Have no idea of whether or not Dr. Mercola is correct, used to subscribe to his newsletter but gave up as he tends to sell so much stuff supposedly relating to health and he tends to be controversial in the medical field.

As far as the plant that died because it was watered with microwaved water others have conducted their own experiments in more scientific blind studies and the result was that there was no difference as the plants survived except a few that were not watered on the weekend. The first dead plant experiment had only two plants and can't be considered scientific.

Just have not bothered with the beastie very often, as the food just tastes better in traditional methods. Don't know if nutrients are actually leached out of the food but these days I just prefer the stove, oven or toaster oven (a good one that lasts for ten years or more).

8:05AM PDT on Jul 23, 2012

I use mine mainly as a kitchen timer.

9:56AM PDT on Jun 3, 2012

As I finished reading this article, a knucklehead idiot cut us off on the road for no good reason as all lanes are clear (I'm not the driver I might add). I admit that the first thought that came through my head was for that man to stick his goodies in the microwave. Anyhoo, this was a great article and rarely do I encounter a balanced view.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

This just emphasises how much these drinks should not be given in vast quantities to children

Thank you, the kittens and mommy cat will enjoy this food hunt...

Thanks for sharing.

Both my dogs and my cats get jealous of each other, guests, the computer, the phone....

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.