Is Your Body Roundup-Ready?
The Romans had lead. Victorian hat-makers had mercury. Our parents had cigarettes. We have Roundup. Thanks to the much-hated, genetically-modified corporation Monsanto and other herbicide manufacturers, the known toxic chemical glyphosate found in Roundup has also been found in shocking amounts in drinking water and human bodies.
According to a German study, the herbicide ingredient was found in ALL human urine samples tested. Worse than that, the amount found in urine was 5 to 20 times the established upper limit for drinking water.
The chemical is used in food production but is also sprayed on private lawns, railway lines, urban pavement, golf courses, and community roadsides and public land.
Earlier research showed that the toxic chemical prevents plants from growing and causes birth defects in frogs and chicken embryos in much lower amounts than that used in agriculture and on lawns. The same study found that glyphosate primarily affects the skull, face, parts of the brain, and spinal cord. As unknowing participants in a planet-wide, uncontrolled experiment, we are only starting to discover the results for humans.
In a 2009 study testing highly diluted (100,000 times or more) Roundup on human cells, the cells died within 24 hours. Other research showed that glyphosate is linked to the death of human kidney cells, and infertility and testicular cell death in rats. It has also been a factor in Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS).
Keep reading to find out what you can do to protect yourself…What you can do to protect yourself:
- Stop using all herbicides and pesticides on your lawn and garden
- Speak out to your neighbors who you see using Roundup or other herbicides. Better yet, share this article with them
- Write to your local politicians and media sharing the information above and asking them to discontinue use of herbicides on public land, including parks and school playgrounds
- Choose organic produce as much as possible
- Support organic farmers at your local market
- Filter your tap or well water
- If you golf, stop supporting courses that use herbicides
- Regularly detoxify your body, emphasizing kidney detoxification. Check out my book The 4-Week Ultimate Body Detox Plan for specific herbs and foods that target the kidneys; and
- Start and/or sign relevant Care2 petitions asking for the discontinuation of herbicide use.
Subscribe to my free e-newsletter World’s Healthiest News to receive monthly health news, tips, recipes and more. Follow me on Twitter @mschoffrocook and Facebook. Copyright Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD.