As scary as this all sounds, though, it’s important to keep in mind a few facts about Toxoplasma in house cats:
- Toxoplasma is only carried by outdoor cats – indoor cats are not at issue here!
- The parasite is only shed by outdoor cats for 3 weeks of their entire lives. It’s generally when the cat is young and new to hunting.
- During that time in your cat’s life, you can thwart Toxoplasma by keeping a clean house and thoroughly washing fruits and vegetables.
- Most people with Toxoplasma in their bodies will not suffer any ill effects
- Moreover, if a person does experience personality changes, they will most likely be too subtle to notice.
In the end, perhaps Stanford University neuroscientist Robert Sapolsky says it best, “this mostly falls into the ‘Get a load of this, can you believe what nature has come up with?’ category.”
What do you think about Flegr’s work? Are you concerned about Toxoplasma? Do you think it’s just junk science? Leave you opinions in the comments below!