Jack O’Lantern Pudding
This is the season for wonderful pumpkin treats! Enjoy this light and airy, rich pumpkin pie pudding with awesome texture!!
6 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ¾ cups 2% milk
1 egg, well beaten
½ cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
For Whipped Cream:
½ cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon agave syrup or sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla
Crumbled ginger snap cookies (we use 4 cookies, Trader Joe’s brand -gluten free)
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch until there are no lumps.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together milk, egg and cornstarch mixture. Bring to a simmer over low heat, whisking frequently. Allow to simmer for one minute while whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add pumpkin, spices and vanilla. When completely combined, return to heat and stir for only long enough to heat mixture through. Spoon into serving dishes and cool in fridge.
- To make topping, whip cream on high in mixer until it begins to stiffen, using very chilled whipping cream. Add agave and vanilla and whip until you have the texture that you like.
- Crumble cookies by hand or chop with a knife.
- Top each pudding with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of ginger snap crumbles.
Makes: 4 small servings
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Responses to your Comments!
“So I don’t think I’ve ever HEARD of coconut sugar. WHERE do I find it?”
We have recently found it at Costco. The easiest way has been to buy it from your local health food store; some have it in bulk and some in 1 pound bags. It is especially good for people who are watching their sugar intake. Coconut sugar has a reduced glycemic index making it somewhat healthier.
Up Next – Halloween Raspberry Blood Bar