What does the food we eat, in particular fast food, do to our environment?
- Fast food waste threatens our marine environment: Styrofoam foamed plastic, a staple of fast foods, becomes a permanent part of our environment when littered. Eventually it reaches the ocean through the drains; the plastics from this urban pollution are the largest source of marine debris.
- One average cheeseburger, which weighs 120 grams, requires the energy of 1,000 to 3,500 grams of CO2 to produce.
- Packaging is a very good business if you want to make lots of money and do not care about the environment! All fast food comes in little cardboard boxes or styrofoam or plastic packaging, thus we are left mountains of this unsightly garbage.
- Almost 3.2 million tones of packaging are added yearly to US waste.
- Some candies are as harmful to the environment as pork meat, says a Swedish study.
- During the production of one kilogram of chips, 2.2 kilos of greenhouse gas are produced.
- The volatile organic compounds (VOC) created when four hamburgers are produced are equivalent to the same VOCs emitted by a current model car driven for 1,000 miles.
- Fast food waste includes leftovers of meals and trimmings from food preparation. The average restaurant produces 8,200 pounds of food waste per month (more than 98,000 pounds a year). About 15 percent of that waste is in the form of reusable materials. Restaurants can do more.
- The Pacific Gyre, aka the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, contains about 3.5 million tons of trash. Clean Water Action found that 49 percent of litter is from fast food; the five biggest sources were McDonalds, Burger King, 7-Eleven, Starbucks and Wendy’s. Watch this video: The Garbage Patch
Eat Real Food
Real food is food in its most natural state. It is unprocessed or with very little processing. Real food does not need a label or fancy packaging. An apple is an apple. Basically, real food is a whole food that is life-sustaining and requires no polluting packaging.
What does it mean to for a food to be life-sustaining? How long do you want to live?
Our bodies were designed to digest real food, not highly processed stuff in packages polluting this earth. I will not call this food……as it is not!
Next: How to recognize real food