Lawn Care Equipment
Each year aging gasoline powered lawn mowers and lawn care equipment spew
thousands of tons of polluting chemicals and particles into the air.
These pollutants create urban smog which can lead to chronic illnesses such
as eye irritation, asthma, and headaches.
- Green Seal reviewed 12 manufacturers on the following aspects of their
products: power supply, engine efficiency, cut size, emission reduction
methods, product features and overall costs.
- In this Choose Green Report the equipment is divided into gasoline powered
equipment and electric equipment. Within each section there is a variety of
some of the following: riding mowers, walk behind mowers, grass trimmers and
- Overall, electric equipment receives the Green Seal Green Buy award based
on our criteria and although battery powered equipment may not fit every
need, it is an excellent choice when possible.
- The average gasoline mower tested by the EPA emits in 1 hour of operation
the same amount of hydrocarbons that a 1992 Ford Explorer emits over 23,600
- The average gasoline mower emits over 9000 times more hydrocarbons than its
- If just 20 percent of US homeowners switched to electric mowers 84,000
fewer tons of carbon monoxide would be emitted into
the air each year!
- An electric mower would save the average user 73 percent in
total energy costs!
To read Green Sealís environmental rating of 52 name brand electric and
gasoline walk behind mowers, grass trimmers, and hedge trimmers,
download the Choose Green Report on Lawn Care Equipment!
Adapted from a Green Seal Choose Green Report, by Green Seal. Copyright (c) by Green Seal. Reprinted by permission of Green Seal.
A Green Seal Choose Green Report, by Green Seal