Lemon Cucumber Dip with Fresh Dill (with video!)
One of the things I love about coming to the farmers market is all the different shapes and sizes of the fruits and vegetables you find – they’re so different from what you find at the grocery store. Take cucumbers. I found some amazing cucumbers at my local market – shaped like letters, like circles, with ridges and spikes – and even some that look just like the standard cucumbers at the grocery store. They’re all delicious, and really what this is all about is celebrating the biodiversity of the land and food we have here in the United States.
In this recipe we’re cooking with lemon cucumbers. This dip really highlights how refreshing these cucumbers are on a hot summers day.
1 lemon cucumber
2 tbsp fresh dill
3 garlic cloves
1 cup local, full-fat yogurt
Serve with french bread
1. Shred cucumber, skin and all. This is a really great way to use the whole vegetable. In this case, you’ll get a lot of juice and I highly recommend drinking it!
2. Sprinkle the shredded cucumber with a little salt and drain in a colander for about one to three hours in the refrigerator.
3. Crush 3 cloves of garlic
4. Finely chop about 2 tablespoons of fresh dill.
5. Mix cucumber, garlic and dill with about 8 ounces of yogurt and add salt and pepper to taste. You may want to chill it for just a little bit before you serve it but that’s not necessary.
6. Serve with french bread or even crackers!
By Jen Dalton