These amazing confections burst in your mouth like sunshine with their bright sweet-citrus taste. The combination of lemon and tender custardy cake makes a dessert that feels like Spring.
3 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons grated lemon zest (basically the zest from 1 organic lemon)
1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
Butter for custard cups
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil while preheating oven to 350F. Lightly butter six 6-ounce custard cups and place them in a deep baking dish lined with a kitchen towel.
2. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until light, then whisk in the flour. Add lemon zest and juice gradually, whisking to combine, then whisk in the milk.
3. Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites with the salt until they form soft peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture, using a whisk.
4. Evenly divide the batter among the buttered custard cups. Place the baking pan in the oven and then fill the pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the cups.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until custard cakes are golden brown and puffed. Serve warm or room temperature.
Inspired by a recipe in Martha Stewart Living Magazine.