The mind holds on through beliefs, expectations, and interpretations. It takes a lifetime to build up these conditional responses, but dismantling them occurs moment by moment. The present is the right time to begin. When you find yourself in a situation in which you are certain of disaster, loss, hurt, or any other negative outcome, use the following formulas, as appropriate:
- This is just an experience. I’m here on earth to have experiences. Nothing is wrong.
- My higher Self knows what is going on. This situation is for my benefit, even if I can’t see that now.
- My fears may come true, but the outcome will not destroy me. It may even be good. I’ll wait and see.
- I’m having a strong reaction now, but it isn’t the real me. It will pass.
- Whatever I’m afraid of losing is meant to go. I will be better off when new energies come in.
- Whatever fear says, nothing can destroy me. When people fall they don’t break, they bounce.
- Change is inevitable. Resisting change doesn’t work.
- There is something here for me, if I have the awareness to find it.
- The things I fear the most have already happened.
- I don’t want to hold on anymore. My purpose is to let go and welcome what is to come.
- Life is on my side.
- I am loved; therefore I am safe.
These aren’t just formulations, they are new beliefs that, when sincerely held, call in spirit to aid you. To build a new reality you need new mental structures.
Adapted from The Path to Love, by Deepak Chopra (Three Rivers Press, 1997).