Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Sage Butter Sauce
Maple syrup, marshmallows, pecans, brown sugar.. When it comes to mashed sweet potatoes, plenty of sweet potato recipes put way too much emphasis on the sweet. Put down the sugar — try savory mashed sweet potatoes with sage butter. Even better?! This recipe is as appropriate on a busy weeknight as it is at your Thanksgiving table.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Sage Butter
- 4 Large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 pounds)
- Coarse salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage, or more to taste
- 2 Teaspoons+ chopped fresh sage
1. In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook sweet potatoes in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove about 1/4 cup of cooking water before draining in a colander.
2. Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Pour reserved cooking water over sweet potatoes, and mash with a potato masher.
3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter until browned, but not black, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chopped sage. Drizzle half of the sage butter over sweet potatoes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to serving dishes. Drizzle remaining sage butter over sweet potatoes before serving.
Recipe Adapted Fromt: Epicurious.
Earlier: How to Dry Fresh Herbs.