Honor Loved Ones: Make a Memory Candle
If you want to remember a departed human or animal loved one, the simple act of making a Memory Candle can bring great relief and healing. You can also do this to celebrate someone living, or to mark an important event like a graduation. Either way, the Memory Candle is a beautiful way to honor someone important to you.
1. Decide who you would like to honor in this way: it could be a deceased relative, friend, or companion animal, or someone with whom you have lost contact but still want to remember.
2. Choose a clear glass candle holder–a water tumbler or glass works well.
3. Find a photograph of the person you wish to honor in this way and make a photocopy of it, enlarging or reducing it to fit the height of the candle holder. If you donít have a photo, you could do a simple drawing or make a photocopy of a memento you associate with that person or animal.
4. Wrap the photocopy around the glass and tape it securely. Place a nontoxic beeswax or soy wax candle in the glass. Place the Memory Candle in a special safe place and light the candle.
4. The soft glow of the candlelight will illuminate the photograph in a very beautiful and special way.
5. You can also pay homage to the living by naming this an “Honor Candle” and using a photograph to celebrate a graduation, marriage, birthday, retirement, anniversary, or other accomplishment of note.
Adapted from By Candlelight, by Diana Rosen (Storey Books, 2002). Copyright (c) 2002 by Diana Rosen. Reprinted by permission of Storey Books.
Adapted from By Candlelight, by Diana Rosen (Storey Books, 2002).