Mercury: the Culprit of Mysterious Health Problems


By Abbie Walston, Moms Clean Air Force

My sister-in-law has been dealing with recurring health problems for the past few years. It’s been a scary time, with lots of searching for what was causing her symptoms and more than a few frightening sessions with Dr. Google. Her symptoms include (in her own words):

  • Poor coordination, have to wear sneakers all the time
  • Burning, stinging, pricking, itching, aching, stabbing, throbbing, swelling neuropathy on tops of feet and shins, progresses up legs, on buttocks, forearms, upper lip
  • Ulcers
  • Severe anemia
  • Tight heavy legs from knees down, cramping calves, can’t walk long distances, need compression socks, can’t stand must be moving or sitting with legs up
  • Muscle cramping and spasms on left side
  • Face twitching
  • Seeing a spot when in bright light
  • High anxiety and confusion
  • Numbness in left hand and foot
  • Intense brain fog and slow, disturbed cognitive function
  • Extreme fatigue —  always tired & spacey; need lots of sleep
  • Hot and red hands and feet
  • Shortness of breath, weakness, exhaustion
  • Brittle peeling nails on hands, dry skin on feet
  • Chills, goosebumps and very sensitive to cold
  • Frequent urination

This is all combined with an injury from an accident four years ago, subsequent surgeries and pain that just won’t go away. However, my sister-in-law was relieved yesterday when her doctor finally called her with an answer! She has high levels of mercury in her body: mercury poisoning. Normally, a person would have between 0 to 2 micrograms of mercury per deciliter of blood (ug/dL), and her level was 12 ug/dL. She enjoys seafood and eats different types of shellfish and fish almost every day, which is the likely source of the mercury

It was interesting that I was there when she got the call, and I filled her in on my research about mercury that I’ve done as part of the Moms Clean Air Force. I explained how the mercury released into the atmosphere by power plants ended up in her fish, and we thought it was an interesting coincidence that I’ve been working to protect people from exactly what she’s been going through.

Her doctor has suggested that she should get her one amalgam dental filling removed and limit her intake of seafood as well as following a detoxification protocol. Hopefully, her levels of mercury can be reduced and her symptoms will disappear. It may take a while to get better, but she’s just happy to finally have a diagnosis.

Please JOIN MOMS CLEAN AIR FORCE to help us fight for clean air for our kids. We need your voice! If you haven’t already, please tell our lawmakers that you support the proposed Mercury and Air Toxics Standards rule. Thank you!

My Toddler’s Mercury Poisoning from Tuna
An Interview with Dr. Philip Landigan, Mercury Expert
Are You Toxic From Mercury?

Love This? Never Miss Another Story.


Cheryl B.
Cheryl B.3 years ago


Cheryl B.
Cheryl B.3 years ago


Megan G.
Megan G.3 years ago

Geeeeez, I have almost every one of these symptoms going on 14 years. I don't eat any seafood, but have a mouthful of fillings. Hmmm.

Debbie L.
Debbie Lim3 years ago

Thanks for the info!

Sharon Schaffhauser

My dentist refused to remove my "silver" filling. I asked why? She said "because it's dangerous and will contaminate my air". I then asked her why it was ok for her dental hygienist to use a dental burr to clean this filling each time I came in for a cleaning? She turned 'red' and mumbled something inaudible under her breathe. Long story short, I have changed my dentist and I have had that filling removed, have stopped eating all fish and am feeling wayyyyyyyyyy better.
When we are in pain, our body is talking to us. We have to listen. Blessings to All

Eternal Gardener
Eternal Gardener3 years ago

No more seafood for this sister in law...

Morgan H.
Morgan H.3 years ago

Wow who knew that a seafood diet could have such a strong impact on one's health. I'm glad her doctor figured out what was wrong and was able to give her some advice.

Msq Howard
jo Howard3 years ago

Replacing amalgam fillings, are you kidding? For years dentists have been using amalgam fillings. And to replace, swap them out, with updated composite material of today do you know what that will cost? For many people the cost would be above 4 to 5 thousand dollars, easily. Of course it may resolve the Mercury health issues and concerns, but most dentists will tell you that if the filling is not cracked there should not be a Mercury issue or concern, and therefore leaving the amalgam filling in place would still be cost effective, and safe throughout your life. So, the bottom line I believe would be to replace them on the bases of when there is an actual need.

Michele G.
Past Member 3 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Carmen S.
Carmen S.3 years ago

thanks for this information