Mexican Vegetable Soup
My momís side of the family is from Mexico and whenever †I hang out with them I can guarantee that Iíll be eating something awesome, like vegan albondigas or vegan tamales, but one thing I really miss is Pozole (which they believe is†sacrilegious†to make vegetarian). Hereís my attempt at fulfilling my need for that tasty, tasty soup.
Espero que te guste!
Servings : 4-6 Prep Time : 10m Cook Time : 20m Ready In : 30m
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth – I used three bullion cubes and 6 cups of water
- 1 small can of hominy (found in the mexican foods aisle of grocery stores)
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime – I like mine sour, so I usually add a whole lime
- 1 avocado, diced for garnish
- pepper, to taste
- In a soup pot, add oil and saute the garlic and onions until onions become translucent.
- Add broccoli, carrots, hominy, cilantro, lime juice and tomatoes; pour in the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- After serving the soup, garnish with the avocado, slice of lime and cilantro leaves. Enjoy!