Mushrooms with Red Wine and Thyme (Recipe)
Just as perfect for Thanksgiving as it is for a quick weekend night, you can, and should, make this one day ahead. That extra day really lets the flavors meld.
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Large shallots, chopped
- 1 1/2 Pounds crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 Cup dry Marsala or Maderia Wine, divided
- 1 Teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus fresh whole sprigs for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly-ground pepper
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, bring cream and shallots to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms and 1/4 cup Marsala, lower heat to medium and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are evenly coated. Stir in additional 1/4 cup Marsala and simmer for about 6 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and the mushrooms are tender. Add chopped thyme and continue simmering for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh thyme sprigs as garnish.
Recipe Adapted From: Epicurious.