START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

5 Fantastic Arguments for Better Birth Control Access

  • 1 of 2
5 Fantastic Arguments for Better Birth Control Access

Originally published on October 22, 2012, on bedsider.org

The vast majority of sexually active women — 99% — have used birth control at some point. Doesn’t sound very controversial, right? Yet somehow a whole lot of folks seem to be “discussing” birth control lately—and they don’t always have the facts straight.

You may have noticed birth control is what we’re all about, so we wanted to share 5 facts we think everyone should know about birth control in the U.S.

1. It’s a win for taxpayers and businesses.

2. It reduces abortion.

Earlier this month, two studies—one from researchers in St. Louis and the other from researchers in Iowa—provided solid evidence that access to effective birth control can make a difference in this arena. Both studies made super-effective birth control methods available and affordable to local women over several years—and both studies resulted in major decreases in unplanned pregnancy and abortion.

On the national level, almost half of all pregnancies in the U.S. were unplanned as of 2006—and 43% of those unplanned pregnancies ended in abortion. Of all the women in the U.S. who are having sex and not trying to get pregnant, two-thirds of them use birth control consistently and correctly—and those birth control superstars account for only 5% of unplanned pregnancies. The other 95% of unplanned pregnancies were to the third of U.S. women who weren’t trying to get pregnant but weren’t using birth control or were using it incorrectly or inconsistently.

  • 1 of 2

Read more: Career, Community, Health, Life, News & Issues, Relationships, Sex, Sexual Health, Women's Health

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Bedsider

Everyone should have the life they want, when they want it. And until someone is ready to have a baby, we believe they should have access to birth control. That’s where we come in. Bedsider makes birth control easier. How? By giving you everything you need to find it, get it, and use it well.

23 comments

+ add your own
12:37PM PDT on Mar 12, 2013

Totally agree with Valentina R.... These arguments are mostly political, but the most important ones are women´s rights and the environment!

12:29PM PST on Nov 4, 2012

Yet, people will disregard facts and have nonsense reasons, mostly based on mythology and "modesty", to fight against easy to obtain BC.

3:35PM PDT on Nov 1, 2012

thanks

6:35AM PDT on Oct 29, 2012

All the more reason for planned parenthood.
Just take responsibility and don't have more children than you can afford and raise!
All the Taxpayers are Tired of keeping them!
If we wanted more we would have have had our own!!

11:59AM PDT on Oct 28, 2012

Can I have an A-men!

10:22AM PDT on Oct 26, 2012

Thank you ... convincing arguments.

9:27AM PDT on Oct 26, 2012

Most important reason: less births, less overpopulation = good for us and the environment.

4:08AM PDT on Oct 26, 2012

thank you

3:54AM PDT on Oct 26, 2012

ty

11:21PM PDT on Oct 25, 2012

Excellent arguments all! But then, in a saner world, we wouldn't have to be arguing for better birth control access. Needless to say, this is something that is an absolute necessity, especially in our over-populated world, and should be readily available to anyone and everyone who needs and wants it.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

Golly I brought my geraniums in yesterday and do not do any of that yet they thrive all winter long.…

As my grandmother used to say: little of what you fancy does you good.

Just love coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not forget: Pumpkin Roll, Pumpkin Cookies, Cranberry Pumpkin Bread. I know, that's not the …

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.