START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good

Non-Toxic Disinfecting After the Flu

  • 1 of 2
Non-Toxic Disinfecting After the Flu

With flu season approaching, careful disinfecting of your environment is more important than ever. People become infected by the flu by either sharing an environment with an infected person or by touching an infected surface.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “flu viruses are thought to spread mainly from person to person through coughing or sneezing of people with influenza. Sometimes people become infected by touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose.” During and after someone in your home or work environment has experienced the flu, make sure to clean surfaces such as countertops, door handles, faucets, glasses, utensils, keyboards, tabletops and countertops, toys, cribs, pens, pencils, etc.

Antibacterial Products

Stop using them! Antibacterial cleaning products have been touted as the easy and best cleaner. However, the long-term environmental and health costs have only recently been discovered. Like antibiotics, the CDC warns that overuse and abuse of anti-bacterial products can lead to the emergence of more virulent, antibiotic, anti-bacterial resistant strains. Antibacterial products were designed to protect vulnerable patients from infection. They are not useful in the healthy household. Furthermore, in a Reuters article entitled Antibacterial wipes can spread superbugs: study, Gareth Williams, a microbiologist at Cardiff University said, “While the wipes killed some bacteria, a study of two hospitals showed they did not get them all and could transfer the so-called superbugs to other surfaces.” According to the study, health care workers wiped multiple surfaces such as tables, bed rails, and monitors with a single wipe, basically spreading germs around.

How to Disinfect Your Home or Business the Natural Way

In general, kitchens and bathrooms are the most frequently used areas and where germs proliferate. After someone has been ill with the flu, disinfecting these high traffic areas is even more important. Disinfect with a bleach solution or another disinfectant to prevent spreading germs.

  • 1 of 2

Read more: Bed & Bath, Children, Cold and Flu, Community, Conditions, Do Good, Eco-friendly tips, Family, Green, Health, Health & Safety, Healthy Schools, Home, Household Hints, Life, Non-Toxic Cleaning

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Selections from Networx empowers people to make educated, economical and Earth-friendly renovation and home repair choices. We are a community of homeowners, renters and contractors who are committed to sharing home improvement expertise and experience.


+ add your own
7:38AM PDT on Jun 4, 2012

How are bleach and alcohol, non toxic? Please, be informed and be careful about the information you spread as a healthy alternative. I love your borax, tea tree recipe, but bleach?
See this article for more information on toxins and other health hazards of (safe?) cleansers:

12:28AM PST on Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for the article.

9:17AM PST on Feb 6, 2011

Tea tree oil has a definite evergreenish odor, but a few drops of it in Sadie's shampoo and she is free of fleas without toxic drops or meds. It also contains a natural antibiotic that helps heal any scrapes, etc.

I will try the tea tree oil cleaning solution. Thanks.

2:16AM PST on Feb 5, 2011

also using essential oils in your water (vapouriser) is a good idea. Many essential oils have an antiseptic property. just a few drops, you will be amazed. You could start with tee tree or lavender.
Of course pure essential oils and preferably organic
I used garlic essential oil for this purpuse for some young cows who had pneumonia. It worked as it cleansed the air - not a great one for the home though as very pungent!

6:04AM PST on Jan 2, 2011

Thanks for the info.

5:52PM PST on Dec 28, 2010

thanks for the recipe. what is the disinfecting efficacy of the tea tree-borax solution?

8:52PM PST on Dec 17, 2010

I use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect everything.

8:49PM PST on Dec 13, 2010

I use a product called Vital Oxide to disinfect my house. I buy it at I keep entering the same coupon code and I get free shipping (try prs2010...who knows?) It's really amazing stuff. They use it on a lot of the cruise lines now which, I guess, says something since they've had such problems with folks getting sick. It's completely non-toxic, so...

11:12AM PST on Dec 6, 2010

Noted. Thanks.

2:33PM PST on Dec 5, 2010

TU so much!

add your comment

Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

A couple of these tips are okay, others NOT.

Aaaww, what a sweet Scottish Fold kitty, he or she was like: Human, come play with me, I´m jus…

You don't sweat the small stuff. And you get really good at recognizing the small stuff. You do…

Thanks for the list.

good to know


Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.