Oil Pulling Heals Gums & Whitens Teeth, Naturally
When I first read about oil pulling, it set off just about every skeptic alarm bell in my brain.
Oil pulling is the ancient Ayurvedic technique that basically involved swishing a tablespoon of cold-pressed oil around in your mouth every morning for 20 minutes. This swishing will pull the “toxins” out from all over your body, drawing them into the oil and therefore cleansing your whole system. Which heals your gums and whitens your teeth. Because the oil pulls the “toxins” out of your tongue.
At the time I was investigating all this, I was pretty desperate. I’d just had a baby, and that had left me with pregnancy-induced gingivitis (which occurs in roughly 50 percent of pregnant women). My gums would sometimes bleed, and my teeth were super sensitive. And due to an out of control coffee and green juice habit, my teeth were abysmally stained.
What I finally found, to my delight, was a totally plausible explanation of how oil pulling might actually impact oral health in a positive way:
Plaque accumulates along the base of your teeth, causing little pockets to form under your gums. These pockets become home to harmful bacteria. The bacteria produce toxins (real ones, not “woo woo” mystical ones) that irritate your gums, causing inflammation and bleeding. This is gingivitis.
It appears that the key to successful oil pulling is in the duration of the swishing. See, oil is viscous, so it’s “sticky.” And it spreads. Given enough time (like, say, a full 20 minutes), it will slowly seep all the way up into those bacteria-filled pockets. It seeps in everywhere, and then as you swish, it’s drawn back out. Oil pulling is an ideal way to reach, and dislodge, those harmful bacteria buried so deeply under your gum line.
I was curious enough and convinced enough to give oil pulling a try, and I am so glad that I did. Oil pulling completely cleared up my gingivitis, and it absolutely whitened my teeth, all in under two months.
How to Try Oil Pulling:
- Every morning, first thing in the morning, before brushing your teeth or rinsing your mouth out, measure one tablespoon of virgin cold-pressed sesame, coconut, sunflower or olive oil (sesame and coconut are the most reputed).
- Swish this oil around in your mouth, letting it pass over your tongue, your gums and all your teeth. Try your best to move it between each tooth, for a full 20 minutes. I usually do this while I make breakfast and get dressed.
- The oil will turn white and frothy. Don’t gargle it or you’ll risk swallowing it. When the 20 minutes is up, spit it all out.
- Gargle, preferably with salt water and thoroughly rinse your mouth out. Brush your teeth as normal. Go about your day.
- Repeat daily for a minimum of 30 days, but ideally 45-60 days.
Good luck, and here’s to your oral health!