Onions for Better Health, says World Health Organization
Everyone loves onions but few recognize how good they are for you! They are full of protective phytonutrients, vitamins, trace minerals, and unique anti-inflammatory compounds. Onions are one of my favorite powerfoods.
6 Health Benefits of Onions:
1. WHO recognizes that onions help relieve symptoms such as coughs, congestion asthma and respiratory infections.
2. Onions contain a variety of other naturally occurring chemicals known as organosulfur compounds that have been linked to lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
3. Onions are a rich source of flavonoids, substances known to provide protection against cardiovascular disease.
4. Onions are also natural anti-clotting agents since they possess substances with fibrinolytic activity and can suppress platelet-clumping. The anti-clotting effect of onions closely correlates with their sulfur content.
5. Onions provide protection against stomach cancer as onions are rich in sulfides. Studies in Greece have shown a high consumption of onions and garlic to be protective against stomach cancer. Dutch men and women who ate lots of onions (half an onion per day) had half the level of stomach cancer compared with those eating no onions at all.
6. In areas in India where they never consumed onions or garlic, people had higher blood cholesterol levels and shorter blood clotting times, than in areas in India where they ate garlic and onions regularly.
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.