Recipe: Waffle Calzones
- Pizza dough at room temperature
- 3 cups pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella
- Any desired toppings (note: simple is best, and overloading a calzone can lead to disaster!)
1. Preheat waffle maker to its highest heat.
2. Roll out pizza dough as thinly as possible. Separate into 8 inch rounds. Spread pizza sauce evenly onto dough, keeping about 1/2 an inch sauce-free around the edge. Place toppings (don’t over load it!) over sauce, and then sprinkle cheese over toppings. Rub water along the sauce-free edge with your finger. Fold in half, and carefully crimp the edges of the dough.
3. Carefully place calzone in the waffle maker. Gently shut the lid, but don’t press down or apply any pressure. Cook until the crust is golden brown. Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes before eating.
Recipe Adapted from: Rachel Ray
Other Ideas for Waffle Irons:
- French Toast
- Hash Browns