What do you get when you combine juicy peaches, fresh blueberries, and a toothsome, naturally-sweetened oat-nut topping fragrant with anti-inflammatory spices? Great taste and good health in a fabulous end-of-summer dessert. Some of us plan to serve it after the first day of school: this peach and berry crisp is such a comforting, good-for-you way to end the meal.
3 cups sliced peaches
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts–walnuts, pecans, almonds–whatever you like
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter or healthful oil
1/4 cup maple syrup (or other sweetener of choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 9-inch round or square baking dish and set aside.
2. Combine the peaches and blueberries n a bowl and gradually stir in the white flour. Set aside.
3. Process the oats in a blender or food processor until they are coarsely ground. Combine them in a large bowl with the whole wheat flour, nuts, and spices.
4. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract to the melted butter and stir to combine. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Place fruit in bottom of baking dish. Cover evenly with oat topping. Bake around 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbly-tender. May be served hot or room temperature.
Serves 8 to 10.