I’ve written about benefits of adopting a less-adoptable pet. And, there are many benefits of adopting any pet from a shelter or rescue organization.
- You’ll save a life
- You won’t be supporting puppy mills
- You’ll have an instant, grateful friend for life
- Your new family member may already be well socialized, especially if s/he came from a foster home
BlogPaws and AdoptAPet.com declared October Adopt a Pet Month and supplied the infograph below featuring many facts about shelters and rescue organizations. Looking for a purebred? Did you know that 25% of pet dogs killed in animal shelters are purebred?
I just did a search on AdoptAPet.com for medium size (26 to 60 lbs.), young dogs up for adoption within 50 miles from me and came up with nearly 500 dogs! And my search for young cats showed over 500 in a 50 mile radius!
Have you adopted a pet from a shelter or rescue organization? Thanks for sharing your story in a comment below.
- Have you seen the new Adoptable Pets page on Care2? Please also share with your friends. We’d love your help in finding homes for these adorable animals!
- Delivering Calm, four paws at a time!
Receive a FREE DOWNLOAD from the Calm your Canine Companion music series when you sign up for the Through a Dog’s Ear newsletter and/or Lisa’s Blog. Simply click here, enter your email address and a link to the free download will be delivered to your inbox for you and your canine household to enjoy.