Portobello and Leek Gratin (Recipe)
This hearty entree will satisfy both vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
Mushroom and Leek Gratin.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 Pounds Portobello mushrooms (about 6-8 large), stemmed & sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 Large Leeks, white and light green parts only, washed well, cut in half crosswise, then into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 Cup dry white wine
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 Cup finely grated parmesan or pecorino (about 1 ounce)
Baking Dish: 2-quart.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet (the biggest one you have) and turn heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook for 10-15 minutes, tossing occasionally until soft. If you can’t fit them all in one skillet, work in batches. Place softened mushrooms on a plate lined with paper towels.
3. Carefully clean up any residue in the skillet, and then add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Turn the heat back to medium-high, stir in leeks, season with salt and pepper, and cook. Stir frequently until the leeks have softened, just about 8 minutes. Stir in wine and continue cooking until the liquid is nearly evaporated, 2-3 more minutes. Add heavy cream, lemon juice and thyme.
4. Add leek mixture in an even layer to the baking dish. Arrange mushrooms over leek mixture, just slightly overlapping. Top with parmesan.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly.
Recipe Adapted From: Martha Stewart.
Earlier: Cozy French Onion Soup