This moist and fragrant cake is simply stuffed with great nourishment, from the beta-carotene of pumpkin to the healthy vitamins and minerals of apple. When you bake it, the sweet warming spices will make your oven into a shrine to the harvest season–and will make your mouth water in anticipation!
Here is the recipe for this easy-to-make, luscious harvest cake (and be sure to scroll down for four more great recipes):
1 cup cooked or canned pumpkin puree
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup organic sugar
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Whipped cream or confectioners’ sugar for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Prepare an 8-inch round cake pan by greasing and flouring it.
2. Combine pumpkin, eggs, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, and salt, stirring to combine. Add apples and nuts, stirring again. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
4. Cool the cake, still in the pan, on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack, remove pan, and cool cake completely.
5. When ready to serve, turn cake on to a pretty plate and top with whipped cream or confectioners’ sugar, if desired, or serve plain.