This moist and spicy quick bread is perfect for breakfast, coffee break or afternoon tea, after-school snack, or dessert.
Itís sweetened with healthful honey and apple juice, and itís totally melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil or melted butter
3/4 cup dried cranberries or chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and cloves.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the pumpkin, apple juice, honey, oil, and eggs. Stir gently into the flour mixture until barely moistened. The batter will be lumpy.
4. Fold in the cranberries or nuts and spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the loaf and cool on a wire rack.