Quiz: Are You a Cultural Creative?
Do you differ in essential ways from many of the people with whom you share your time? Do you ever feel that you just do not fit in with this culture at all? Well, take heart: there is a huge, hidden band of people (estimated to be around fifty million in North America and eighty to ninety million in the European Union) who are trying to create a peaceful, sustainable world instead of the tumultuous, dangerous, inequitable, and unsustainable one some of us think we currently have. That group is being called the “Cultural Creatives.”
Take this quiz and see if you may be a Cultural Creative. Then give the quiz to your friends. There may be even more people like you than you think! Here’s the quiz:
See how many of the following statements are true for you:
1. I love Nature and am deeply concerned about its destruction.
2. I am strongly aware of the problems of the whole planet (global warming, destruction of the rainforests, overpopulation, lack of ecological sustainability, exploitation of people in poorer countries) and want to see more action on them, such as limiting economic growth.
3. I would pay more taxes or pay more for consumer goods if I could know the money would go to clean up the environment and to stop global warming.
4. I place a great deal of importance on developing and maintaining my relationships.
5. I place a lot of value on helping other people and bringing out their unique gifts.
6. I do volunteering for one or more good causes.
7. I care intensely about both psychological and spiritual development.
8. I see spirituality or religion as important in my life, but am concerned about the role of the Religious Right in politics.
9. I want more equality for women at work, and more women leaders in business and politics.
10. I am concerned about violence and abuse of women and children around the world.
11. I want our politics and government spending to put more emphasis on children’s education and well-being, on rebuilding our neighborhoods and communities, and on creating an ecologically sustainable future.
12. I am unhappy with both the Left and the Right in politics, and want to find a new way that is not in the mushy middle.
13. I tend to be somewhat optimistic about our future, and distrust the cynical and pessimistic view that is given by the media.
14. I want to be involved in creating a new and better way of life in my country.
15. I am concerned about what the big corporations are doing in the name of making more profits: downsizing, creating environmental problems, and exploiting poorer countries.
16. I have my finances and spending under control, and am not concerned about overspending.
17. I dislike all the emphasis in modern culture on success and “making it,” on getting and spending, on wealth and luxury goods.
18. I like people and places that are exotic and foreign, and like experiencing and learning about other ways of life.
If 13 or more of these statements were true for you, you are a Cultural Creative–and you are not alone. To meet other Cultural Creatives, you may want to join Care2 Connect, a global network that can connect you with like-minded others. Just go to the Care2 Home Page and click on the Care2 Connect banner.
Adapted from The Lilypad List, by Marian Van Eyk McCain (Findhorn Press, 2004). Copyright (c) 2004 by Marian Van Eyk McCain. Reprinted by permission of Findhorn Press.
Adapted from The Lilypad List, by Marian Van Eyk McCain (Findhorn Press, 2004).