Congee can be made on top of the stove, but for ease and convenience a crock-pot works the best. Assemble the ingredients in the evening and let it cook on Low through the night. In the morning a healthy breakfast will be waiting to help you kick start your day.
Rice Congee with Millet
1/2 cup short grain brown rice
1/4 cup millet
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
5 cups water.
1. Place ingredients in a small crock-pot and cook overnight or throughout the day on low heat.
2. You can also soak ingredients covered overnight in a heavy saucepan. In the morning bring to a low boil, reduce heat and stirring often, simmer about 2-4 hours.
Millet is used in this recipe as it is also very nourishing for the spleen. Chopped root vegetables, beans, lentils, and medicinal herbs can be added before cooking and simmered right along with the grains. This makes for a rich and delicious breakfast, lunch or light dinner. Serve with:
- A variety of cooked greens such as kale, spinach, collard greens, or Swiss chard.
- Cooked beans, tempeh or tofu.
- Roasted pumpkin seeds and/or sesame seeds.
- Sauteed sea vegetables or strips of nori seaweed.
- Sautéed onions, ginger and garlic.
- Baked sweet squash.