Roasted Grapes, Farro and Greens Salad (Recipe)
Filling, simple, and easy to make, this is a great salad to bring to the office.
Oven-Roasted Grapes, Farro & Greens Salad
1 1/2 Cups farro
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
6 Cups seedless red grapes
1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 Small red onions, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more to taste
4 Cups mixed seasonal greens
8 Ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Arrange racks into upper and lower thirds of oven. Preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Add farro to a medium saucepan and season with about 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cover faro with about 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 25 minutes, or until faro is tender. Drain and place in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, arrange grapes on a baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss a little to coat. On a separate baking sheet, arrange onion slices and drizzle with1 tablespoon oil; flip the slices over and drizzle an additional 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place onions on the bottom rack and grapes on the top rack. Roast for 45 minutes, flipping onions every 15 minutes. The onions are ready when they’re golden brown, and the grapes are ready when they’ve burst open.
- Place grapes and onions in bowl with faro and drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil over salad, along with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well. Let salad cool for about 20 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve, add greens and gently toss. If desired, season with more salt, pepper and red wine vinegar. Serve topped with goat cheese if desired.
Recipe Credit: Martha Stewart.