Roasted Red Pepper Soup
This is a comforting soup, with a gorgeous color and a wonderful creamy texture. Using canned roasted red peppers is easy and cuts down on time spent, but you can roast your own if you prefer.
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 – 28oz. can roasted red peppers (drained) equivalent to 4 large whole peppers
1 cup canned, chopped tomatoes, drained
4 cups water
2 tablespoons agave (helps take edge off tartness – add less if you prefer)
2 teaspoons dry sherry
½ cup sour cream
1 cup low fat milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with ¼ cup water)
2 teaspoons sea salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion, granulated
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in pot on medium heat until tender, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes, peppers and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add agave, seasonings and cornstarch mixture.
- Heat for another 10 minutes, allowing it to thicken.
- Remove from heat and blend with hand blender or upright blender. Add sour cream, milk and more seasonings if needed.
Cooking time: 45 minutes