Bonus salad idea: Salad is all about the presentation. It doesn’t have to be a bunch of veggies tossed into a bowl! Next time you prep a salad, try arranging the ingredients or artfully layering them, rather than tossing everything together. You can also invest in special tools, like miniature cookie cutters to slice your veggies into fun shapes!
6. Add a little sweetness. Fresh or dried fruit makes for a lovely salad topping. Some of my faves: dried cranberries, sliced sections of orange or tangerine, or sliced strawberries.
7. Don’t forget the protein. Adding some beans or tofu can turn a salad into a full on, rib-sticking meal.
8. Add something tangy. A squeeze of lemon juice or some chopped green onion adds a dimension of flavor that really rounds out a salad.
9. Don’t fear the fat. You don’t have to douse those greens in oil, but adding a little bit of healthy fat, like nuts or avocado, to your salad makes it more filling and more delicious.
10. Try fresh herbs. A little bit of minced basil, sage, thyme, or your favorite fresh herb is a burst of flavor in your mouth. You can add it straight to your salad or whisk it into the dressing.
What’s your favorite way to add a little oomph to the humble salad? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!